Sunday, May 6, 2012

Live show #3: Barclay House 8th Anniversary Show

Barclay house: Baltimore's longest-running DIY space and one of my favorite venues. It was my mom's birthday, so I missed all but the last four bands. I arrived during Bad Biology's set. Their noisy, My War/Slip It In-era Black Flag worship resonated with me; that's the way I like my hardcore punk.

The turnout was great for this show; it was pretty much a giant party for the Baltimore underground punk/metal scene. This amounted to much less boredom between bands. The next group was Musket Hawk; a solid, newish punk/metal band with a touch of early screamo influence. I dug 'em. Their drummer was pretty awesome.

After Musket Hawk, and being entertained by my inebriated friends, was Philly's noise-punks Nightfall. They were as good as the last time I saw them, when Revolta played with them at Sidebar about a year ago. During their chaotic set I got caught in the mosh, so the recording's a little uneven in parts. It's got that err... gritty, real charm to it!

Lastly was the return of Diablero. While they had some technical difficulties, they played with conviction (especially Mr. Carnes!)  and it was good to see them again after a few years. The basement was packed for their set, which made it that more intense. All in all it was a fun, fitting show to celebrate a mainstay of the Baltimore underground.

Download the show: 050512 Barclay Anniversary

-Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment