Sunday, April 29, 2012

Live show #2: Wizard Rifle at Golden West

I arrived at the Golden West cafe in time to catch Dan Ivan's set. I'm glad I did; it was this guitarist playing weird noisy rock stuff with loops. "Weird noisy rock" is an probably an apt description of all the bands that played this show.

Next was Lady Piss. Revolta played with them awhile ago at the now-defunct Hexagon, so I was familiar with them. Check 'em out; they're definitely the best AmRep-noise rock worshippers around. Or maybe the only ones, but regardless they always impress me live. During their set this time this crazy random guy came storming into the Golden West, demanded they stop (they didn't), and proceeded to bring in a bunch of old clothes and food, saying he was sacrificing for everyone there or something. I guess they eventually kicked him out, but it was pretty err... entertaining.


Wizard Rifle, on tour from Oregon, were last. I've seen their name around a lot, being that they're on Seventh Rule, but I hadn't really checked them out prior to tonight. Too bad! I certainly enjoyed their 2-piece sludgy, mathy noise rock sound. The guitarist made really good use of his whammy pedal; something I rarely see. It's too bad more people didn't show up, but Wizard Rifle seemed satisfied after their set. Catch them the next time they roll around!

Download the show: 042912 Wizard Rifle at Golden West

-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment