Friday, May 11, 2012

Live show #5: Tragedy at Ottobar

Tonight I was faced with the tough decision of attending either this Tragedy/Triac/Occultist show or Pygmy Lush/Screaming Females at the Golden West. Obviously I chose the former, mostly because it seemed like the rarer occurance.

I missed openers Wargames due to some serious traffic on 295 going into Baltimore. Local grind greats Triac were second. Xozo played with them once. I was eagerly anticipating seeing this band, as I've not yet seen them without ex-singer Noel (now in Lady Piss). As usual, they failed to disappoint. Jake's drum performance was mesmerising, and Chad and Kevin held it up vocally.

Next were Occultist from Richmond. Having no prior experience with this band, I was pleasantly surprised by their solid set. Their sound kind of ran the gamut from thrash to death to black metal, but they tied it all together with tight transistions. Frontwoman K.Z. put on a pretty menacing performance. Check 'em out; I think At the Graves is playing with them on May 20th at Casa Fiesta in D.C.

Though some might unfavorably compare headliners Tragedy to their legendary old band His Hero is Gone, I like them both for different reasons. Tragedy has that sappy minor-key feel that I'm usually a sucker for. The recording of Tragedy's set came out pretty well, but it doesn't come close to representing their live energy. Their music seems to be built for the live performance, with lots of epic vocal refrains and D-beats to encourage audience participation. They mixed in some decidedly darker new material from their new LP, but their set had a good flow and included a nice mix of their material.

Download the show: 051012 - Tragedy at Ottobar

-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment